Friday, August 14, 2009

More than meets the eye

Working in retail opened my eyes to many facets to the clothing industry; greater insight to what I like and dislike about it. Some of it seems manipulative. Some of it appears to be honest. I am amazed how they all seem to be working together to create these 'trends' that are must-haves in our wardrobe today although in six-months time they will be discarded as 'yesterday.' Maybe it is the companies who are primarily found in malls who are teaming up. How is it that all these brands are releasing the same products at the same time? Maxi dresses. Fedoras. Gladiator-style footwear. Pastel-colored apparel. Gaudy shirts that are similar to Affliction and Ed Hardy. For a place where individuals can purchase clothing that will accentuate their individuality, does little to accomplish that. It seems to be more of a variety of the same things.

This is why I have been willing to quit purchasing at the malls and shop at local small businesses despite the price differences. Alright, where I live most small businesses do not cater to my preferences but there are certain items that catch my attention. All in all what I am getting at is buying clothes far away from the malls or department store will greater increase your chances of not looking like the same people (which is a lot) who shop at those locations.

No comments:

Post a Comment